I’ve always loved Muesli. Ever since I was small. My Dad, just about every morning, would pour himself a big bowl for breakfast and I would sneakily steal a spoon or two. For some reason I thought it was a cereal for grown-ups, and so thieving and stuffing some in my mouth before Dad would see, only served to enhance the appeal and flavor. The dry chewiness of the oats teamed with the sweet of the dried fruit and crunch of the nuts seemed so complex and adventurous compared to my bowl of soggy rice crispies. Life would be better when I was grown up and could eat a bowl of Muesli, I thought!
And I was right. Life is better with a bowl of Muesli. Now I’m sure I probably didn’t have to wait to “grow up” to have it, as no doubt my Mom would have given me some had I asked, but kid’s minds work in funny ways and mine was convinced I had to be older to eat Muesli!
So since I’m now somewhat of a grown up (I think) buying my own cereal, and I have taken to discovering the health benefits of just about everything I eat, I decided to see what sort of magic, Muesli contained. And I must say, It’s far more wonderfully nutritious than I even thought…
- It’s excessively rich in soluble and insoluble fiber which helps reduce cholesterol and more importantly helps move out all the yuckies from our bodies in a regular fashion!
- Oats and nuts in Muesli contain a very important phytochemical called lignans that reduce chances of breast, ovarian and prostate cancer!
- Muesli reduces hypertension and is thought to reduce the dosage of anti-depressant medications one needs! (see I knew it made me happy !!)
- Muesli is a great source of calcium and also other minerals which increase metabolism (ie. Keep you slim)
- Muesli is rich in proteins which helps bone strength and the health of your hair.
- Muesli is a great source of Omega 3’s, heart healthy fats that also ensure a healthy nervous system!
- And as a bonus Muesli increases Libido!!
Of course there are many other benefits, too long to list here, but I think I’ve given you enough reason to try a bowl of muesli for breakfast!
(**For a while, I avoided Muesli when I went Gluten-free, as the regular brands contain oats that are produced in factories along with gluten products, but luckily I recently found a bag of GF Muesli and my love has returned! Also muesli is very easy to make up yourself and then you have the freedom to put in what you like. Any combination of the following will work!)
- Thick old fashioned oats (gluten free*)
- Almonds (whole or slivered)
- Chopped walnuts
- Chopped dates
- Dried apricots
- Pumpkin seeds
- Flax seeds
- Flaxseed meal
- Sunflower seeds
Add a splash of rice or almond milk and you have an uber-nutritious delicious start to your day!!
If you have any unique Muesli recipes please feel free to share in the comments below!
Til next time!